The Naked Pilgrim rolls on

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 11:47:22 PDT 2003

Thanks William for your comments.
Though I don't really see it like that!
Yes, if you appreciate Brian Sewell as an art critic, then maybe it drops
off for you.
I didn't know him at all before the programme and so when I watched, I was
quite startled by his approach, which was as a formidable critic with wit
and intellect.  I hadn't expected such a person to make the programme. In
fact I thought it was rather silly early on.
So I was moved by his reactions as the miles rolled by, his depressed mood
and almost loss of interest in the middle.  I feel that in fact he opened
himself to the Camino much more than he was willing to admit. There was a
kind of non-stated or silent honesty which said it all, I thought.  The fact
that he had those conversations with the two French girls at the end, where
one of them said "Jesus is just waiting for you, at the door of your heart,
waiting for you to open the door!"... that tells me that he was affected,
even if he refused to acknowledge it.  And the final moment where he runs
into the sea naked is the final curtain, leaving a space where you can't
help but think a little "wow", cos he leaves you suspended.

Okay, I haven't been on the Camino yet myself, but I feel sure there must be
many different kinds of conclusions and effects on people... so can we say
what it means to open oneself to the Camino?  And isn't the point of a
pilgrimage - at least one point - to leave behind what one is, to stop being
how one has been accustomed to be, so that one can discover the new?  Sewell
stopped being an art critic!??....and became a confused, frustrated and
emotional human being.  Great.  For me that is an achievement, cos that
requires honesty and courage.
Sally