Other Tombs of St. James

Rev. Gerald Fraser mad.monkaCOMCAST.NET
Mon Aug 11 12:00:40 PDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:52:54 -0500, Jeffery Crim <crimjeaEARLHAM.EDU> wrote:

>I'm not trying to start a discussion or argument over where exactly the
>mortal remains of the apostle James are, but:
>Just for the sake of information, are there other places which hold/claim
>to hold the remains of St. James the Apostle. I seem to recall there being
>a tomb of St. James in Jerusalem. Does anybody know about others?
>
>--
>                       Jeff Crim
>Graduate Student           * Pastor
>Earlham School of Religion * West River Friends Mtg.
>Richmond, IN               * Economy, IN

The St. James in Jerusalem is St. James the Less (called the brother of the
Lord.)  Called the Less only because he gets less ink in the Gospels than
St. James the Great (Brother of St. John, sons of Zebedee and 'Sons of
Thunder').  He was the first Bishop of Jerusalem and is believed to lie
under a side altar in the Cathedral of the Armenian Patriarchate in the
Holy City.  It is St. James the Great who is believed to rest at Santiago
de Compostella.

Note:  My brain is functionaing at less than capacity.  If I have manage to
confuse you, please let me know, I'll try to clarify.
GCF