barefoot?

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Mon Aug 11 12:13:30 PDT 2003

I believe the fellow in the picture is Enrique-who made a vow to walk
the Camino every year for the rest of his life if he survived throat
cancer (which obviously, he did).  Last year was his tenth time across
the Camino. I had lunch with him at Pilar's Refugio in Rabanal and then
shared a bottle of wine and stories in front of the fireplace at
Gaucelmo.  He does indeed walk in leather sandals (no socks)-

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Crawley, Jeffrey
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 8:43 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: barefoot?

Very true, even sandles can be a pain on the gravel sections.

I remember seeing photos in the bar in St Juan de Ortega of a celebrated
eccentric pilgrim who travelled in medieval gear - cloak, scrip,
scallop, hat, gourd and staff but believe even he wore thin leather
soled sandles.

best not.

Jeffrey