Changes in Santiago

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Apr 28 17:48:53 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
The Camino Friends Association in Seville was abuzz with information about
the Santiago Archdiocese proposed changes regarding the Santiago Cathedral
and increased attention to pilgrims; apparently some of the changes are
already under way in anticipation of the large numbers of pilgrims that
arrive in Santiago during July and August; more significant, and notable,
changes are expected in anticipation of the next Jacobean Holy Year, next
year, during which the largest number of pilgrims ever are expected in
Santiago.
The changes  are meant for the protection of the Cathedral and the
consideration  meant for pilgrims, as distinguished from tourists.

1.  The Cathedral.  Apparently the many centuries and the millions and
millions of pressed hands, foreheads, etc., have already damaged some of the
priceless works in the Cathedral, such as the Portico de Gloria and the
surrounding statues.  Reportedly these works will be, literally,  beyond the
direct touch of the Pilgrims.  and  there will be no more putting our hands
in the hollow of the Portico de Gloria where untold millions and millions of
other hands have left an indelible indicia of their touch. Nor will there be
any more butting foreheads with the statue of Maestro Mateo in the hope of
obtaining some of his genius by osmosis; they have found some fissures in the
head of the statue itself,  presumably caused by the enthusiastic
forehead-to-forehead kiss of so many of us.  (I plead personally guilty to
such activity and enthusiasm.) -By the way, the famed sculptor and architect
Pedro Peregrino, of Portomarin fame, was Maestro Mateo's father.
The Archdiocese has not yet decided whether to put the image of the Apostle
on the main altar behind reach of our embrace; seemingly some damage has come
to the image despite its protective metal cape.

2. Religious services.  It has been decided to restrict entrance to the
Cathedral, and movement within  it, during religious ceremonies such as Mass,
the Rosary or  devotions to the Holy Sacrament. The first thought was to
achieve a modicum of respectful silence by having guards impose it, as it is
done at St. Peters in Rome.  St. Peters, however, is huge and it can count on
all the resources of the Vatican; it now appears doubtful that such procedure
can be successfully implemented at the relative small, quite small-, Santiago
Cathedral, and  they might need to close the doors altogether during
religious services.

3. Pilgrims' Mass  A new Mass for pilgrims will be added at either 7:00 a.m.
or 8:00 a.m. The heretofore noon Pilgrims' Mass is so convenient for day
tourists, and others, that pilgrims are effectively crowded out; although
only pilgrims with a filled-in passport are admitted in the closed-out space
around the altar, that space is simply too small.  The timing of the new
Pilgrims' Mass is meant to provide pilgrims with some time to rest upon
arrival at Santiago and to allow them to find accommodation in the albergues.
 The Monte Del Gozo albergue (being enlarged), for instance,  does not begin
to accept pilgrims until 1:00 p.m. A pilgrim cannot possibly be expected to
attend the noon Pilgrims' Mass and then run to the albergue, 4 up-and-down
kilometers away, in time to find a bed.  Although the Archdiocese and the
Xunta are planning new albergues, there do not appear to be suitable sites
therefor close to the Cathedral.
Another point being discussed about the proposed new Pilgrims' Mass concerns
the ever-popular Botafumeiro which has come to signify a welcoming
recognition of the achievement of the pilgrims -as a form of Jacobean TeDeum,
it seems-  at least during the month of August. The only consensus, so far,
is that the Botafumeiro will come out only once a day.

5. Readings at Mass.  As those of you who have attended a Pilgrims' Mass
know, only pilgrims read those Evangelical readings which may be done by a
lay person So far this has been done only by Spanish speaking pilgrims, which
has excluded  those non-Spanish speaking pilgrims who may have come from as
far as Holland. The new proposal is to have the readings done by any pilgrim,
in her or his language, followed by a translation if need be. It is true, as
we all know, that the monks in the Roncesvalles pilgrims' blessing address us
in several languages, and that the priests  in the pilgrims' masses along the
way, like Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Astorga, Burgos, Leon, etc.,  address
and welcome us in various languages; but the reading pilgrims in the
Cathedral have only been Spanish-speaking ones. This will change. (In all
fairness I should add that one time, after hearing me speak in Spanish, the
two nuns who select the reading pilgrim asked me to do it.  Alas!  I was
overcome by emotion and concerned about my accent and  declined the honor, a
timidity which I have regretted to this day.  If they should ever ask me
again I will most certainly do it, I think).

6. The credential.  The Archdiocese is urging the uniform use of the
credential which they, and churches and Friends Associations in Spain
dispense (the brownish, accordion type, with the staff, gourd and shell on
the front).  Although the French may not want to part with the one they use,
it is not farfetched to expect that someday there will be only one
credential; after all, the European countries in the EU have accommodated to
the use of a uniform currency, the Europe, and the uniform appearance of the
paper money quite nicely.

That is all I remember right now. Please, do remember that I am only
reporting what I learned; you needn't write me to criticize or laud the
proposals; if however, you have some substantial suggestions that you would
like forwarded to the Archdiocese, I'll be happy to translate them, if need
be, and send them on.

Warm regards,

Rosina
p.s.  I've been getting a lot of private e-mail about the Via de la Plata; as
soon as I have some time, in a day or so, I will e-mail a general reply.