Lack of Diversity on the Camino

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sat Apr 26 08:53:08 PDT 2003

Douglass,

I can remember only one or two pilgrims who appeared to be of African descent.
One that I met on the road was from France and she spoke only French. The other
was in Santiago and may have been a tourist. In Bilbao, which seems to be a
predominantly Basque city, there is sizable population of Spanish speaking
people of African descent. Both France and Portugal have a large number of
African emigrants and their descendants, but I saw them only in the larger
cities, i.e. Paris, Toulouse, Lisbon, and Porto.

BTW it is a wine fountain, not water, and it is my impression that Europe was
well ahead of the U.S. in terms of official tolerance. I have no way of judging
what it is like on a personal level.

regards,

Bob Spenger