Lack of Diversity on the Camino

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Apr 26 09:05:25 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/26/2003 10:42:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
norvellaNAUVOO.NET writes:

> Are Negroes allowed on the camino?
>
> I have been watching the webcam at Irache for about two weeks and am deeply
> troubled by the lack of black faces beaming up at me from the drinking
> place.
>
> Is it a "Whites Only" water fountain?
>
> Do the Spanish, particulary the Basques, discourage brothers from the
> trail?
>
> Now I know that these Basques are a mean lot, given to blowing up whatever
> annoys them, and I want to steer clear of any problems when I make my own
> pilgrimage.
>
> Douglass G. Norvell, Ph.D.

Silly question.  Everyone is welcome.  How could you prevent anyone from
going to Spain and walking the Camino?  True, I did not see too many "people
of color" when I walked, but I did meet some, one of whom I still have as an
email friend.  You remark about a Whites Only water fountain is ridiculous
and your comment about Basques blowing up things is absurd.  Howard Mendes,
NYC