buying a suitable backpack

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Tue Apr 8 01:05:25 PDT 2003

Is it Parkinsons Law that says "work expands to fill the time available"?

I've got three packs - a 20 litre day pack, a 40 litre weekender and a 60
litre one for longer trips.

But the bigger the pack the more you'll want to fill all that lovely space
available not forgetting those side pockets that are so convenient for the
bits and pieces that all add to the weight!

First time out I took my 60 litre pack which I always found to be a good
size, comfortable to wear and easy to pack (twin compartments) with a built
in rain cover in the bottom.  Thing was I'd never lived with it/out of it
for a whole month!  I filled it up with what I though I needed and it looked
a bit empty so I added a bit more, and a bit more . . .

Second time there I took my 40 litre 'weekender' - pared everythng down to
the bone (fleece liner and silk liner instead of sleeping bag) and still had
room to spare!

Why not sort out all of your gear and put it into a stout garbage bag, pack
it down well, roll down the open end, tape up the bag and go along to the
store and see what sized pack it will squeeze into?

best wishes

Jeffrey