... nothing to see

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Thu Sep 19 05:20:18 PDT 2002

Please excuse my unilateral entry here, but I could not disagree more
with you, Marcia!  In the smallest of pueblos there is always something
to see; but what you see does depend on what you expect to see and what
you are open to seeing.  Beyond that, there are always people--pilgrims
and especially those who live in the towns--with whom to talk.  The
stories that the older residents of the small towns can tell are almost
always fascinating in their contrast to what we norteamericanos regard
as the "normal" way of the world.  It is also my experience that we can
learn a lot about ourselves by listening to their impressions of us.
Thank you for the chance to air my point of view!  --Carlos