... nothing to see

Robert Ward robertwardaGOSYMPATICO.CA
Thu Sep 19 07:45:23 PDT 2002

Carlos: I'm with you all the way. There may not be much to see in the pueblos of the meseta, in the normal Michelin Guide sense, but they are places where generation upon generation has lived a way of life that is today dying a swift and quiet death as the young people head for the cities. Some of these villages will be ghost towns in a few more years, or populated only by soft-drink sellers in the summer.
And in between the villages are those incredible lonely spaces where the revelation may not be what you see, but what you feel. I remember those places better than I remember the cathedrals of Leon or Burgos, because I remember them in my bones. For that matter, there was nothing I saw on the Camino that was more magnificent than the November skies over the meseta.
There is also no rule to where a wonderful encounter with another pilgrim will take place. In fact, it's less likely to happen in Pamplona or Santiago, where people have so many other distractions.
The Camino is not a highlight reel, and I think that if we approach it as something to "see," with parts that can be "skipped," we risk missing the whole point.