things to stay

B'midbar bamidbaraCAMINANTE.US
Tue Sep 17 15:22:38 PDT 2002

Yes, I've been subscribing to the listserv since last December and specifically stated that I was comfortable with the 40km/day to deliberately offset the "slow down, smell the roses, take a look around" crowd.  A 12/13 minute mile pace is very comfortable (and I'm still looking at, and enjoying, everything as I go) for me and even though I'll be walking that daily distance immediately as soon as I set off, I still plan on taking a 1-2 hour break mid-morning, as well as arrive at my stop by 2-3 p.m. each afternoon.  I then intend to spend the remainder of the afternoon and some portion of the evening wandering around and looking.  This is, in fact, only the second vacation I've ever taken in my life (I'm forty-one) and I'm very much looking forward to all the aspects of the Camino - natural sites, cultural and historic stuff, the people... EVERYTHING.  I go with tremendous expectations and none at all both.  That is, I know the way, I know how much distance I can travel (everything I've read and scene indicates the route will be significantly less difficult than the trails and distances I've been subjecting myself to since June), but once I get there, I just plan on letting the experience unfold before me.

I'm jazzed.

Thanks for the input.

Regards, B'midbar.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: CHRNARTSaaol.com
  To: bamidbaracaminante.us
  Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 4:03 PM
  Subject: re: things to stay

  I started in Burgos -- so can only comment on the trip from Burgos to Santiago. Of course, you don't wish to miss the cathedrals at Burgos and Leon. Astorga is particularly interesting -- a great museum about Roman settlements in Astorga, the Bishop's House designed by Gaudi -- now holds a museum about the pilgrimage. There is also a Chocolate Museum in Astorga -- with free samples!

  Mostly -- though -- the towns are small with few attractions. (Bring a good book.) The churches are sometimes open in the evening if someone comes to open them up. I was always in a place on Sundays to go to Mass but didn't have the opportunity during the weekdays.

  You must be a tremendous walker! One word of caution: There was a sign in a small chapel. The translation is basically -- the pilgrimage is not a race. Take the time to rest - to look -- to think. We decided to start at Burgos so we would have plenty of time. As it turned out -- we had an extra week before we had to go back to Madrid. We traveled to Asturias and explored Los Picos de Europa. Blessings, Marcia