Tiny and lightweight sleeping bag

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 28 08:54:35 PST 2002

Dale, Polly (et al)-

I am also going to walk from mid-May through June,
though I'll be a little further north, along the Ruta
de la Costa.  I am hoping my sleepsack will be
adequate.  I expect - though I know better than to
rely on my "expectations", particularly where the
Camino is concerned - to be in a refuge of some kind
half the time and camping half the time.  I have no
doubt it will be just right for bed sleeping.  I
suspect I might be a little cold sometimes when I
sleep outside, on the ground.  But I have cloths to
layer as necessary.

I think the sleep sack would have been adequate for my
fall pigrimage.  There are plenty of refugios along
the Camino Frances, I always found one open at least
every 20-30 km that time of year, and there was always
room and a bed.  A handful of them were extremely
cold, but I had heavier cloths to layer.  I can think
of only one refuge - Triacastela - where I appreciated
my big heavy bulky 20deg Kelty mummy bag (as well as
every piece of clothing I had with me!)  But that's
because it's built of plate glass and totally unheated
and I was getting sick after walking in snow for 2
days.

My best guess is that a light sleepsack is appropriate
for anyone walking the Camino Frances from May thru at
least October.  The purpose is mainly to give you some
measure of hygeine on a much-used mattress - warmth
can be increased, if occasionally necessary, by
sleeping in your cloths.  I think the weight of your
pack would be better served with a sleeping mat to go
with the light sack - IF you are going at a peak time
when you may have to sleep on the refugio floor.  I do
not know if the refugios fill up mid-May thru June,
but perhaps another pilgrim here could speak to that
question?

Sleepsacks are also very affordable if you are
operating on a limited trip budget, as am I.  I found
my 27 ouncer at Campmor online for $30, including
stuffsack.

Ultreya!
Adrienne