Bull fight (appropriate name for this thread, no?)

Laurie Willhalm laurie_willhalmaYAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 13 10:34:57 PST 2002

> It has already exceeded its carrying capacity and
> pilgrim/tourist numbers are still on the rise due to
> the amount of publicity it receives.

This is a very very interesting and important issue
(sez me ;-) ).  Preservation of what we love is an
something each of us holds dearly. I imagine the
people who walked in the 70s and 80s see a huge
difference between what was and what is. And I also
imagine that they both appreciate the changes and miss
some of the opportunities.

How do we as pilgrims live with the tension between
wanting to preserve it and wanting to share it? And
how do the people who live there provide the necessary
support without commercializing it? Does having a
McDonalds on the Camino mean that walking it is no
longer a calling?

Or does the action of getting up in the morning,
putting on your boots, filling your water bottle and
beginning to walk supercede the external?  I don't
know.

Laurie