Peregrina Book Review

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jul 10 11:21:11 PDT 2002

Fellow Pilgrims,

Through a mutual friend, I had the pleasure of meeting another Canadian
pilgrim who has just published a book chronicling her journey on the
Camino. I was pleasantly surprised to see a review on the back of the
book by our fellow list serv member Kathy Gower.

The book is called "Peregrina,  A Woman's Journey on the Camino" written
by Marilyn Melville. Marilyn walked the Camino almost 2 years ago with
her partner Austin. They started in SJPP and took 44 days to complete
the walk to Santiago, mostly by foot. This book is written in a daily
journal format, taken from Marilyn's diary and notes.

The author describes her experiences, sights, sounds (snoring of course)
and smells of the Camino and gives an open and honest account of the
fears and frustrations. The book is written in a carefree engaging
format masterfully guiding the reader into the depths of her journey
discovering the emerging feminine vulnerability, strength and beauty.

Marilyn and Austin are often detained by illness and injuries on their
pilgrimage. As a result they are forced to take time off for recovery
and often end up taking a bus or a taxi to cover the distances. For the
prospective pilgrim who is unsure about their physical ability to
complete the distance, this pilgrim's account demonstrates that almost
anyone can walk the Camino and the inner journey takes place even if
part of the distance is covered by a 'motorized' mode of transportation.

The use of black and white photographs interspersed throughout the book
provide the reader with a visual of the author's descriptions and
stories. While reading this book I reminisced about my incredible
journey in Nov/Dec 2001 unearthing a longing to return to the simple
life of a pilgrim on the road to Santiago.

Sue
sue.kenneyasympatico.ca

The book can be ordered by contacting thepilgrimalook.ca or contact me
if you have any difficulties.
Pergrina
A Woman's Journey on the Camino
Marilyn R. Melville
ISBN 0-9697399-1-5
$12.95 CAD (a deal for our American friends)