Santiago in New York

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed Jul 3 10:50:35 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
    The Brazilian community now attached to my parish, Our Lady of Pompeii in
Greenwich Village, New York City, held a Thanksgiving service in appreciation
of their country winning the Soccer World Cup for the fifth time.   (The
trophy does deserve to be called "World" cup since more than two hundred
countries all over the globe compete with one another hoping to become one of
the thirty-two countries in the final tournament. Of the seventeen
quadrennial tournaments held so far, European countries have won 8- Italy 3,
Germany 3, England 1 and France 1— and American countries have won nine-
Brasil 5, Argentina 2 and Uruguay 2}.
    At the end of the Thanksgiving service there was a procession headed by
an image of Sao Tiago (Santo Iago, become Santiago in Spanish; Saint James in
English. but Sao Tiago to this day in Portuguese) in pilgrim's clothing.
    The procession reportedly was owing to the fact that some of the members
of the Brazilian team and coaches have already made the pilgrimage to
Santiago,  others have vowed to do so, and they are all quite devoted to the
apostle.
Regards,
Rosina