Sv: Re: Walking Sticks

fkjaer fkjaeraPOST7.TELE.DK
Fri Jan 25 08:31:12 PST 2002

When in June 2000 I took off my scallop shell from my rucksack and thus changed my status from that of a pilgrim to a misplaced person and returned home from Burgos, I forgot my walking stick at the railway station. It was a simple stick that had served me well since Roncesvalles where I had bought it at the inn for 300 ptas as I hadn't been able to find one as I crossed the Pyrenees from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port. Of the three blister I got walking the 300 kms two were on my left foot and the third was between the thumb and the index finger of my right hand from holding the stick.
To my dying day I am sure that I would be able to recognize it blindfolded among a dozen others if I got the chance.
Realizing that I had forgotten my faithfull companion (and my cap) I first became annoyed, but after a few moments I thought that it was appropriate to leave it there as it might serve some other pilgrim. When I return to Burgos to continue my camino in June of this year I will, however, have a look for it at the station to see if it is waiting there for me.

The most beautiful stick I saw was carried by Manuel, a Spaniard from Bilbao. At the top it had a little niche with a carved figure of Santiago Peregrino.

Frans.