Walking Sticks

Jane Engel jengelaLAPLAZA.ORG
Thu Jan 24 16:52:57 PST 2002

Gabrielle,

I was not a "real" pilgrim (I went with a tour group last May) though I was
enormously touched by walking the 80+ miles or so that I did walk, and plan
to go back and walk more of the Camino as a result (and not with a tour
group!). And I have a walking stick story also.

I was determined to find 'my' walking stick on the Camino but had not found
one by the end of the first day as we arrived in Roncesvalles. I mentioned
my disappointment to one of our leaders, who immediately gave me one she
had found coming down through the woods to the monastery. This stick felt
right for me, even having a small notch into which my thumb fitted
perfectly. We agreed, since I knew that I wouldn't bring the stick back to
the US with me, that I would borrow it and return it to her at the end.
Needless to say I was delighted and used the walking stick for the
following days 10 days of walking - and was particularly grateful for its
support on the long trek down into Portomarin! When we arrived in Santiago,
we had a little ceremony in Obradeiro (sp?) Square in which I handed the
walking stick back to our leader, who said that she would keep it for
future trips with her groups!  So it's good to know that the stick which
served me so well, will be used by others too!

Footnote: some dear friends gave me a Leki for Christmas, in preparation
for when I next walk the Camino. I'm very happy with the gift, though in
some ways I know it will not be quite the same as the wooden one to which I
became so attached!

And to all those who are planning to walk the Camino this year - May you
all have very special experiences too.

Buen Camino,
Jane