Security

Steve Bean ultrrnnraCTS.COM
Sat Jan 19 20:23:28 PST 2002

About security, I have done the Camino twice and never have had anything
stolen, or gone missing - Just keep your pack closed up in the refugio
and keep your valuables and papers with you all the time - As ATMs are
available in all cities and most towns, you don't even need to carry lots
of cash - The biggest concern would be the cities and, especially
(unfortunately) Santiago - Lots of horror stories from there - I had a
friend who had his bicycle stolen from outside the House of Dean (when he
was getting his Compostela), complete bike, saddle bags, journal, film,
clothes, money,etc. He didn't lock it up and was only gone about 10
minutes -The police said they had had 8 reported stolen in that same day
- Rough way to end a memorable journey -

One the other hand, this past Spring when I stayed in the refugio in
Fromista, I forgot to pack my extra sandals - I remembered them when I
was about a kilometer out and went back for them - they were gone - I
assumed (shame on me) that they had been picked up by someone who felt
they needed them more than I did - However, when I reached Carrion that
evening, I ran into another Pilgrim in the streets who told me that  a
lady who had been staying in the refugio had seen them and had carried
them to Carrion for me, assuming I had forgotten them - We hooked up and
she passed them back to me - Just an instance of one Pilgrim helping
another - (It turns out that that was also her last day on the Camino for
that year - She was headed home the following day)

Ultreia,

Steve