Security

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Jan 19 13:51:46 PST 2002

There are several different shower setups.  Some are Men or Women only and
have complete privacy with closed doors; otheres are Unisex but also
completely private when you close the shower door.  A few are more communal,
both sexes, and no doors or even shower curtains.  For a person who wants
privacy, I suggest you ask someone of the same sex to "stand guard" while you
each take turns in the shower.  Most peregrinos get used to this after the
first couple of experiences and then take it in stride.

The bigger problems will be little or no hot water later in the day and
dealing with a pushbutton water on that seems to last for 30 seconds.  The
refugios use these to conserve hot water.  Believe it or not,  these minor
inconveniences and others became part of the adventure of the Camino and the
source of numerous "war stories" that made the Camino a trip of a lifetime
for me.  Don't worry about any of these matters.  It's all part of the fun
you will have.  (You did not ask about nature calls in the fields or woods
when there were no toilets for miles ahead.  When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!)

I would take no more than $200 in cash or travelers checks.  The cash
machines are numerous along the way.

Howard Mendes, NYC