Motives

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Thu Jan 10 10:31:36 PST 2002

Leonard and others,

Although I never felt that I didn't want to walk the Camino, I did feel that I had
to walk it once I found out about it. I remember seeing The Lonely Planet travel
show on TV and they profiled the Camino. At that moment I knew I had to be there.
My Roman Catholic faith was not strong at the time but something was drawing me to
Santiago.

When I was informed that I would no longer have a job at Lucent Technologies, I
decided that I was leaving in 4 weeks. Many of my friends and family tried to talk
me out of it because there was an article in a magazine about the pilgrimage and it
stated that the "season" for pilgrimages was from April to October after that the
weather was not reliable. I was planning to leave in November and finish in
December.

Interestingly enough, within days of my decision to go I had this unusual "feeling"
that I struggled with initially. It was a feeling that I had already done the
Camino. That I had in fact been to Santiago and I knew that I was safe. There was a
"knowing" that I cannot explain. Therefore, I assured everyone there was nothing to
worry about.

As I walked the Camino, I did so with complete surrender. I was open to every
experience. Often I didn't use the map because I knew that I would get there with
the grace of God.

So, in answer to your question to Elyn, I wanted to walk the Camino, but I truly
believe I had no choice. Thank God. I am forever grateful.

Sue