Compostela vs. Certificado

Dale M. mrsmarieaBLUEWIN.CH
Tue Feb 26 23:09:24 PST 2002

Just a point of interest for those who are puzzled by the fact that some
pilgrims may be denied the Compostela at the end of their long walk
to Santiago ....

 From what I understand, the Compostela is issued when a duly
stamped credencial (pilgrim record) is produced at Santiago providing
the pilgrim pronounces that he / she was spiritually motivated.  There
may be some discrepency here - i.e. in the case of the Japanese
pilgrim who was denied his Compostela because he was
non-Christian.  Obviously there is room for alot of seemingly
subjective judgement on what constitutes 'spirituality'!  Absurd really.

However, we live with the fact that essentially the Compostela is a
Christian document .... and a Catholic one at that ....SO .....

For those who do not profess to have followed a 'spiritual' motivation
for making their pilgrimage, (or those who are unlucky enough to seek
a Compostela but find they are denied for whatever reason) there is
another document to claim -  the Certificado - which is just as valid as
the Compostela as an official record of pilrimage.  They vary only in the
reasons for which they are issued.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere.

Regards,
Dale M.