Stone stacking

Russ Irwin rirwinaUSAOR.NET
Tue Feb 26 22:58:34 PST 2002

Michael,

>Any thoughts on why pilgrim's stack stones, and, for those of you who did,
>why did you do it?  just because others had?  to mark some special moment or
>connection?

I've only have thoughts on this within the past couple of weeks. It may be in a different way, but
I'm not so sure. I think the origins of stacking stones might have started from some kind of
"rememberance". Well, here's my little story:

We have a lake in a county park near me. It's about a 5 mile walk around it, and I have been doing
this walk for close to 2 years now. Ironically, that is what started getting me in shape several
months before I ever heard of the Camino. A couple of weeks ago a woman was struck by a car and
killed one foggy morning while walking, or jogging,  the lake. Since then a sort of a "memorial"
type thing has been set up against a tree at the spot where she lost her life. People keep putting
flowers, ribbons and whatnot there. I've been feeling stronger and stronger feelings each time I
walk by that site. So, I bought some flowers today to place there the next time I walk.

I really don't know if the stacked stones came about by anything like this, but it just reminded me
so strongly of them.

Russ