Stone stacking

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 26 21:48:03 PST 2002

Felipe, or anyone, perhaps you can illume another area . . .

stone stacking.

As I walked, and noticed the ways pilgrims played with stones in stacking
them, I thought of the many ways throughout history stones have been used
with significance, from altars to memorial to graves (i.e., Jewish
tradition), to setting the way for those who follow . . . . tons of
variations, many of which have become ritual, and almost liturgical.

Any thoughts on why pilgrim's stack stones, and, for those of you who did,
why did you do it?  just because others had?  to mark some special moment or
connection?  did you carry stones to place somewhere, where and why that
spot?  etc.

This fascinates me, and I found myself stopping to take pictures on several
occasions.

I didn't take a stone, but I took a seashell I got at VA beach.  Meant a lot
to me to be able to throw it back into the same ocean on the other side
after walking for forty days.

Peace,
Michael B