Clothes Burning

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Tue Feb 26 20:07:55 PST 2002

Peregrinos:  The following statement was posted recently and sent me to a
tome I have come to admire greatly:  FOLLOWING THE MILKY WAY by Elyn Aviva.
Dr. Aviva, by the way, has produced a work of scholarship and depth,
indispensable to an aficionado of the Camino.

>From what I understand, the ritual is ages old, and Christians continued to
> use it from a much earlier pagan ritual.

The contributor above refers to the immolation of one's vestments at Finis
Terre.

Author Aviva states on page xxv as follows:  "One final example of the
invention of tradition is the idea of continuing on to Finisterre, bathing
in the sea, and burning one's clothes on the beach."  She continues to
explicate that both these "rituals" are "quite modern" (her words).