Non-Christian pilgrim experiences

John Topping j.m.toppingaXTRA.CO.NZ
Tue Feb 26 23:20:26 PST 2002

Greetings All,
I simply have to get involved in this discussion.  Firstly I am a
Christian - so this will probably colour my view.  I do not believe that
Christians have exclusive rights to the Camino SANTIAGO, ie. the road of St.
James (the apostle of Christ!).  I do believe, however, that this
TRADITIONAL CATHOLIC PILGRIMAGE is rooted in faith, the faith of thousands
who have journeyed since its inception.  It is important to respect this
historical context of this journey.  It is also important to respect the
commitment of those Christians - Priests, Brothers, Nuns, members of
congregations who have devoted their lives to serving Christ through their
service to pilgrims on the road.  I wonder how they feel when they have
people with no spiritual motive using their facilities.  Why do people
partake in the sacred rituals of mass - the worship of God, and communion -
partaking of the body and blood of Christ - when they have no belief?  Do
they recognise the miracle that occurred at O Cebreiro?  To me, churches are
not just buildings - they are a peoples proclamation of their faith - they
are built to honour God - they are visible symbols of faith.  Perhaps this
route is called "The Way" - because Christ said "I am the Way, I am the
truth, I am the light, and no one comes to the Father, but through me." John
14:6.  Having said all that, I accept that every faith has a place - to me
it is just that different countries and races have different cultural
expression of their love of God.  But I feel that the pilgrimage is
historically based on a Christian/Catholic expression of faith that should
not be ignored or made little of.
Don't be too hard on me.
Marion.