Scallop Shell

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Wed Feb 20 08:14:29 PST 2002

Tell me more about Mary the Gypsy! I'm reminded of Sts. Maries of the Sea in
France, near Marseilles, where it is said Mary Magdalene, Mary mother of
Jesus, Sarah, their black/Egyptian servant, and I think another Mary and a
male companion (sorry, I should look this up...) landed. Sarah is venerated
by the gypsies in the Camargue region.

As to the scallop shell, there are Roman shrines to Venus/Aphrodite along the
Camino, so you may indeed be correct about at least one association of the
shell. Of course, symbols have many associations, thus their power....

Buen Camino,
Elyn Aviva