Scallop Shell

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Wed Feb 20 08:32:13 PST 2002

I was wondering, for those of you who have walked the Camino, did you
carry the Scallop Shell with you?

Two years ago it seemed as if everyone had a scallop shell.  Many were attached
to walking sticks, others to packs.  We attached ours to the back of our
Camelbacks.  Got them in Paris at a food market filled with a scallop, cheese &
bread mixture.  However, I later learned that in the olden days people got
their shells on the coast after they made the pilgrimage and carried them home
as a sign that they had gotten to Santiago.

One of the things that really struck home when we got to Santiago was the
realization that we would shortly fly home after 10 weeks on the Camino but the
medieval pilgrims were only half way through.  They had to turn around and walk
home.  We saw a few pilgrims walking home but wasn't more than 5 or 6.  I
wonder what the walk home is like?  It must be quite different from the way to
Santiago.

Bill
olcbillafireserve.net