refugios

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 10 06:22:32 PST 2002

--- Diane     Grust <DEG33aAOL.COM> wrote:
> Hospital de San Nicolas/Itero del Castillo
> shotrly before crossing a road and the puente Fitero
> over the Rio pisuerga.
> A refuge in a 13c chapel converted by the Ilalian
> Confraternity offering
> outstanding hospitality. 12 beds plus mattresses for
> the overflow.  Super &
> breakfast provided.  No electicity. Lamplight. May
> offer coffee to passing
> pilgrims
>
> They do offer coffee as I enjoyed one with the
> hospitero
>
> I spent some of my most enjoyable nites in refugios
> which I would not rate
> high on the clam shell list but  they were either
> run by interesting people
> or i ran into some other interesting pilgrims.  The
> rating system reminds me
> of Hilton hotels not the camino.
>
> Diane

They offer more than just breakfast and coffee. I
don't know about "passing pilgrims," as it turned out
I was not just a passing pilgrim but stayed overnight
due to injury. I got a full Italian lunch and dinner -
the best pasta I ever had, and salad and tomatoes
mixed with garlic and olive oil! In addition, you get
a foot-washing ceremony put on by the hospitaleros and
care for your feet - if you need it. It's open only
during the summer months.

Dinner was by candlelight. A gentle, intimate place to
spend the night and of all the albergues I stayed in,
the closest to the spirit of pilgrimage as I would
imagine it to be.

I'd love to run that place year-round.

Regards,
Ana