I didn't know

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Sun Feb 10 09:10:35 PST 2002

I'm getting into this a bit late, but as an anthropologist/writer I'd like to
add this: whenever I've written about a pilgrim--e.g., in Following the Milky
Way, I've changed the name and usually at least one salient feature. Often
what I've attributed to a named pilgrim is actually an amalgam of several
conversations. In articles I have published on various topics (labyrinths,
Carnac alignments, Jewish ghetto in Venice), I have been functioning as a
journalist/anthropologist, and told the people I interviewed that I was
writing an article for publication, so that I would have their permission.

Photos are a different story, aren't they? In the first edition of Following
the Milky Way, there were photos, and the people whose photos I took knew
(obviously) that I was taking them--but it never occurred to me then (1982)
to get permissions. Now, I would.
Buen Camino,
Elyn