Getting to St. Jean

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Wed Feb 6 09:12:43 PST 2002

Jen Mann:  I flew into Madrid, took the train to Pamplona, the bus to Roncevalles, and a taxi to Saint Jean.  I found it inexpensive.  The Renfe schedule is available but you probably wont need it as the trains are daily and frequent.  You might use a bus to Ronce from Madrid as a less expensive alternative but the trip will be less comfortable and a bit longer.  From Barajas Airport to Madrid proper is a long ride and expensive in a taxi.  The Metro connects the Airport to the City or look for a shuttle bus and then a taxi to Antorcha train station.  If  you need a hostal name in Madrid I can recommend one.  You will possibly spend one night in Madrid and another in Pamplona.  Most hostals are safe and cheap.  If you arrive in St. Jean mid-day a guest house can be found 5 kilometers along the paved road toward Ronce.  I spent the night there, dined and breakfasted and then labored over the Pirineos to Spain.  Here is a URL that will provide the data you may need:
    http://www.tourspain.es/turespai/marcoi.htm    Suerte, Felipe Sanchez
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jen Mann
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 8:02 AM
  Subject: Getting to St. Jean

  It's been a while since I posted, but I think you will see me more often as my leaving date approaches.

  I'm planning the Camino in Mid-April and I am trying to find the cheapest and most convenient way to start in St. Jean coming from North America.  I was thinking of flying into Madrid and taking a train or bus.  If anyone has done this, I would love some info.  Should I just get a connecting flight from Madrid or should I fly into France and organized a more complex itinerary for my departure.

  I imagine there are trains that will take you from Santiago to Madrid.

  If anyone has a link to bus or train schedules in Spain, I would appreciate it.  If in Spanish, it's okay.

  thanks
  jen