Back to consent ... it depends

Diane Grust DEG33aAOL.COM
Tue Feb 5 20:15:26 PST 2002

One more kick at the dead horse.  What I was trying to do with this cyber
example is to take the discussion from the theoretical into a real life
example.  I looked at the website I would guess nine months ago and was
bothered by it back then and recalled it in the context of the present
discussion.  Do I need to imagine someone could say something I find
inappropriate....absolutely...there is stuff out there already and it ain't
about me and i still don't like it.

leonard wrote:
       Which brings me back to the original question, would you like one to
quote you in a book on the Camino with out your approval or knowing?

I don't think that actually was your original question ie that it was a
direct quote but in answer to this one I would say

No I would not like anyone to quote me in a book about the camino without my
approval or knowledge.  That said I would easily see myself giving someone my
approval so it boils down to the issue of consent.

actually found your original post

 After reading some books of people who have walked the Camino, they all
told of there experiences of the Camino, Some of the stories were of the
people they meet on the Camino. And sometime there were photos of these
people in the book.  My wondering is this, while on the Camino you meet
another pilgrim(s) and you strike up an acquaintance/friendship and
later you are reading a new book on the Camino and find what you are
reading is of you, or even find a photo of your self in his book. It was
all written with out your knowledge.

ok skip the photo question as legally you can't do that and the publisher's
legal department would not give them publication clearance.

you meet another pilgrim(s) and you strike up an acquaintance/friendship and
later you are reading a new book on the Camino and find what you are
reading is of you in his book.

This is not the same question but I believe Donald gave a pretty good answer
to it.   To me, it depends on whether from the published description someone
who knows you can figure it out.

Anyway, you question as it was originally put is too general for a definitive
answer so I say it depends which is a very spanish reply.
Diane