I didn't know

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 20:18:56 PST 2002

Such a fascinating and ultimately depressing topic...

for one, we are such a litiginous society;  for two, intentions count for
alot, but not all.

I am completing my PhD work on the camino.  About a year and a half ago, I
put out an invitation to participate in my work.  As per the human resources
review committee, I asked for releases from those who elected to be
interviewed.  The rigor with which we have to insure the privacy of our
interviewees is incredible:  locked drawers for tapes, destroyed after 5
years, change names and give aliases, etc.

Whatever work I have completed does become part of the public domain,
although dissertation reading is definitely an acquired taste.  I have sent
my interviewees transcripts of their tapes to review, and so on.

Rest assured, I have treated them lovingly with the respect that they
deserve.  They are deeply appreciated, and I hope they know that. I am not
writing a book.

However, Camino legends such as Jesus Jato, for example, are part of the
narrative and I certainly didn't get a release from him, nor Don Alonso of
the Garlic Soup.

So, with the exception of those named above, no names have been used.  I
actually have no misgivings about either my work or my behavior on the
Camino...and I'd love to see a picture of me from that time <grin> I was
pounds lighter then and actually miss the clothes I wore every day!