hiking with a child

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Tue Feb 5 07:58:31 PST 2002

I spoke to this woman (from Denmark with two children, ages 3 and 5).
Although she herself was in top physical condition, and the children, I
stress at times, seemed to be doing fine, there were some definite signs of
strain.  There are some stretches of the Camino that are nothing but mud and
she had a VERY difficult time navigating those areas.  Additionally, she had
a difficult time pushing her tram up the steeper portions and had to rely on
help from other foot and biking pilgrims.  I stayed in refugios with her four
times and the children (and unfortunately other pilgrims) weren't too happy.
I thought they did well for what they were experiencing, but I wasn't certain
that it was in their best interests.  There were many times that they seemed
distressed and not at all at ease.  Just my opinion, of course.

I agree with Howard that the Camino is difficult for both the parents and
young children.  There are also stretches of the Camino where you are walking
on very busy highways, mostly with the sun at your back, so oncoming drivers
do not see you, thus making it exceedingly dangerous.  This, for no other
reason, would be the thing that would keep my kids at home.

Another consideration is the heat.  You said you were walking June.  Last
Spring, when I walked, the Rioja area was steeped in a heat wave, with
temperatures reaching above 104 degrees.  And that was before reaching the
meseta!  Ugh!!!

On a more positive note, I met a wonderful family from New Zealand (husband,
wife, two daughters, ages 11 and 14).  These girls were able to care for
themselves and were expected to do so.  I think their ages greatly
contributed to the success of the trip.  They had the trip of a lifetime and
were as happy as clams!!!!

I hope this helps somewhat.  And I hope will get some sort of feedback from
those who have direct experience with walking with a child or children.

Buen Camino,
Gabrielle