Miles per Day Etc

Scott Wiskoski ScottWiskoskiaSTARPOWER.NET
Tue Feb 5 07:50:38 PST 2002

Andrea,

If you do no walking or hiking now to speak of,  you should start to
do some -- that way you will get a sense of how much you can do
without any problems as well as how your boots and your feet
interact... I found that for the first day after getting off the
plane, trains, etc. that 7 or 8 miles would have been plenty (we
actually did 14)... we typically averaged 12 - 14 miles/day but did as
many as 20. It was a function of the distance between planned
lodgings, the terrain, and how we felt.  We did plan our lodging a few
days ahead by phone. But many that we met did not do that and no one
seemed to not have a place to stay.

Re your question re spiritual quest vs. sport, that was a topic of
conversation at dinner with other walkers (radonneurs) and pilgrims
(pelerins) ... most agreed even if you started as a walker, that you
ended up a pilgrim.

We started walking each day around 8:30 and ended about 8 hours
later...with a lunch break.  When it is hot, I would recommend leaving
earlier and stopping much earlier.... we just did not get into the
routine of getting up and out by 6 or 7, although many did. We would
also miss breakfast if we left too early!
cheers
Scott