Learnings from Camino, Immediate vs. Later

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 17 13:26:57 PST 2002

Ah Richard, I'm not laughing, but I am grinning...

When I did my PhD dissertation of the Camino, it was on how people
incorporate their pilgrimage experiences into their daily lives....and much
of that learning does not show up until one can express to others the
essence of that experience.

Some knowledge comes through experience, such as doing the Camino, by
whatever form.  Other learning comes from reflecting on those
experiences-propositional knowing, if you will...learning that takes on more
as it is reflected upon, connected to other events, etc.  It deepens still
more when people can actually present to others what that experience
is---and this doesn't need to be "just" storytelling--but also drawing,
painting, poetry, etc. and have it received by them

My premise is that when an individual can actually go out and do something
meaningful (to them) with the knowledge or learning that they've made, then
they have incorporated that experience...in corp-orate meaning to make it
part of their body, so to speak.

Sounds like you've had some of that experience...