Learnings from Camino, Immediate vs. Later

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Tue Dec 17 12:34:26 PST 2002

When I made my solo pilgrimage to Santiago, I was a little disappointed.  I did
not receive a great flash of knowledge or wisdom or spirituality during the
camino.

I talked to my aunt about this when I got home.  (She is also my spiritual
advisor with a PHD in theology.)  She told me not to worry about it, that some of
the benefits would show up later.  I was skeptical.

Six months later, I finally figured out what I had learned from the Camino.
Don't laugh, but I learned that I should ask for help when I needed it, and that
I would receive help if I asked.  That may not sound very profound, but for
someone who has always been ultra self-reliant, this was a big thing to learn,
and probably worth the trip.

I was wondering if other people had similar things happen to them, that the most
important benefit from the pilgrimage only became apparent long after you got
home.

Richard