boots

Lisa Kraus LMKRAUSaDOANE.EDU
Thu Dec 12 08:21:51 PST 2002

Because of some unforseen events, I had to wear ordinary low-tech tennis shoes on the Camino.

Though this was not my first choice, I had no problems.  I walked about 300kms (from Leon) and carried a medium sized load.  I found that the terrain was not so rough that I needed boots and the tennis shoes offered a lot of flexibility.  A bit of extra care was needed in rocky or down-hill areas, but I didn't really mind.

I wouldn't recommend this if you plan on carrying a heavy load (I don't recommend carrying a heavy pack either) or if you'll be hiking some of the more rugged sections of the Camino where you need the extra support.  I suppose if there had been a lot of rain, things could have gotten ugly too.  However, there were several people who had boots and were suffering from blisters and other problems.  Especially on days where the trail was very flat, I was glad to be wearing my tennies.

Whatever you wear, make sure it's well broken-in, it fits, and that you have good socks.

Also, take some sandals along for the showers and/or for evenings so your feet can have a chance to breathe.  It's better if they don't have a strap across the back too, in case you need to let some blisters heal.

buen camino,
Lisa