Hand held radios

Leslie Barr lbarr604aEARTHLINK.NET
Sun Apr 28 18:37:14 PDT 2002

Dear Camino Friends,

      From worrying about bears to worrying about which shoes (or backpack or
sleeping bag or walking stick) will be perfect, from wanting to plan every day
in advance to thinking about bringing walkie talkies "just in case", there
seems to be a very high level of anxiety here on GOCAMINO.  It seems to me, and
I say this with all kindness, as I certainly was nervous before I went, that
many people are letting their anxieties run away with them, and perhaps, in the
process, forgetting why they are doing the Camino in the first place.  I wonder
if it's a particularly American impulse, this need to get things just right,
especially when it comes to plans and equipment, and so control what happens to
us.

But of course, we can't control what happens to us.  That, perhaps, was the
best lesson that the Camino brought me.  And if I didn't learn it well enough
last July, when I walked, then it was brought home to me again on September
11th.  It's still hard for me, giving up this idea of being in charge, but it's
something I think about often.

I don't mean to say that people should go limp - I still make plans and work
towards my goals.  And in the case of preparing for the Camino, of course you
want to have some sense of how it works, and to get some decent gear.  But all
kinds of equipment will be perfectly reasonable, and what suits someone else
won't necessarily suit you, anyway.  And none of it will change how your Camino
unfolds, day to day.  The weather, who you meet, the events or sights that will
move you, the state of your feet - your Camino will bring you what it brings
you, no matter what.

And isn't surprise and wonder a bit of what you are looking for?  Why go on
pilgrimage if you know in advance what you will find along the way?

So, to those who are preparing for their first Camino, I would like to say,
please try and relax.  Spain is not the edge of the earth, Spanish people are
warm and friendly, the other pilgrims are some of the best people you'll ever
meet, and the walking is not all that hard.  (And if you find it so, just go a
little slower.)  There are no rules, there is no way to do it "right".  You'll
be fine.

best wishes,
Leslie

PS to Ted, who inquired about using the two-way radios:  I think if you make a
plan each morning as to where you are heading (for example what town, and what
refugio) you won't need the radios, even if you get separated.  You can always
leave messages at refugios along the way, or call from one to another.  Plus
there will be a lot of pilgrims around, who can relay messages as well.

lbarr604aearthlink.net