Hand held radios

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Sun Apr 28 16:53:31 PDT 2002

To:     GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject:        Hand held radios

We are considering a pair of little 1/2 watt radios.  They have a range of
about 2 km and do not require a license in the US.
We might never use them, but they could be a useful safety measure if we
get separated.

Ted;

This has been discussed on a bicycle touring list that I subscribe to as well
as the rec.travel.europe newsgroup.  Strictly speaking the small FRS (Family
Radio Service) radios are only legal in the US as the FCC only has authority to
assign that band of frequencies for the US.  The same frequencies are used by
other radio services in Europe.  I know that some Americans use FRS radios in
Europe but they are not supposed to.  Don't know what the penalty is if you get
caught.  I don't think that they are legal in Canada either but I'm not sure
about that.

The only legal radios that I know of are amateur radios if both of you have
valid US FCC amateur licenses and operate in the appropriate part of the
Spanish amateur bands.

Bill, KC7LMO

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue