Hitch-hiking in Spain?

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 26 10:09:33 PDT 2002

There are 2 daily direct trains from Madrid (Chamartin
station) to Pamplona:

dep 07:15   arr 11:35

or

dep 18:00   arr 22:25

Tourist class, it costs E33,50

You can then wait in Pamplona for the 4pm/6pm bus that
takes you to Roncesvalles or take a taxi immediately
to Roncesvalles/SJPP.  I don't know if you can catch a
taxi there as late as 10:25pm, so you may have to stay
over in Pamplona a night if you take the later train.

What I did was pretty straightforward, fast and
stress-free - though it involved a full day of travel
- exhausting in itself.  I flew into Madrid and went
straight to the Renfe office in the airport to buy my
ticket for the next morning.  I took the metro from
the airport to the Sol station.  I easily found a
hostal for the night by just walking around and
looking for signs - there are a lot in that area.
That evening was very pleasant as Plaza Sol is a nice
walking area and near the central beautiful old Plaza
Mayor.  I took the metro the next morning to Chamartin
station for my train, got to Pamplona in time to sit
around and wait for the Roncesvalles bus (will
probably go direct by taxi next time) and then took a
taxi from Roncesvalles to SJPP.  (will probably take a
travel/jet lag day in SJPP before starting next time
too)

I think hitchhiking would be risky - not necessarily
safety-wise, but there are far more unpredictable
factors that could delay your arrival in Pamplona.

*Adrienne