The SJPP walk

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 9 11:38:17 PDT 2002

--- pieter pannevis <p.pannevisaCHELLO.NL> wrote:
> I have to disagree that the so-called "Route
> Napoleon" is rather difficult! IMHO everyone can do
it (never do it alone however)and stay on the road.
A "normal" time to cross would be about 8 hours!

Well, I, and many many other peregrinos, are decidedly
NOT normal! :)

All good advice says to start a pilgrimage slowly, but
the Route Napoleon is not an easy, gentle start.
However, it is most definitely worth it.  The Hunto
variation is a good compromise, though - or with
available time, starting a few days back in France.

 From all the responses to this thread, we see a wide
variety of experiences of the walk to Roncesvalles.
My personal experience was a very very difficult, 11
hour walk.  I am from flat, hot, sea-level swampland
and am not used to carrying a pack (overpacked and
poorly-packed at that point) and was walking alone
with no one to pace with.  SJPP was my starting point
and I was in moderately poor shape when I began.  But
it is one of my most treasured memories.  I don't
regret it for a second and I would do it again.

And I am living proof that anyone can walk the Camino
- you don't have to be an athelete or an experienced
backpacker.  I walked the whole way to Santiago with
no motor transport, starting with the Route Napoleon.
This year, with more time, I hope to go all the way to
Finisterre.

(And do not worry about walking alone, even on the
Route Napolean.  Provided the weather is not inclement
with snow or heavy storms, it is as safe to walk alone
as any other section.  It is a good idea to keep a
whistle on your belt and make contact with other
pilgrims in the SJPP refuge so your absence in
Roncesvalles will be noticed should something extreme
happen.)

Start your day early and walk slowly and gently.  Use
a walking stick - or 2.  Pamper your feet.  Take lots
of breaks to smell the flowers and take in the views.
Drink lots of water and always eat a substantial
breakfast.  Focus on giving up the fear and don't
forget to breathe, deeply and often.  Enjoy the
simplicity.  This is for every day on the Walk.

The people I saw sporting the most injuries were those
trying to go the farthest/fastest in a day AND those
who walked with fear, stress and worry.

When I gave up my fear and destructive expectations
after Burgos, walking became like breathing.  I had
wings on my feet.  The next most difficult sections -
Cruz de Ferro and the high-level O'Cebreiro route -
were a breeze.  And I believe it was due to more than
just my improved physical conditioning.

Ultreya,
Adrienne