Pilgrim stamps

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Fri Apr 5 01:54:49 PST 2002

Have just been made aware of this from the Conraternity of St James in
London:

News from Santiago

We heard recently that the Pilgrim Office had started asking pilgrims to
get two stamps per day in their credenciales or Pilgrim Records.  We asked
for confirmation of this new request, and here is their reply:

"Last year we started to control a little bit more the credentials and the
stamps, in order to differenciate pilgrims on foot, horse or by bicycle
from  those who are using other means of transport to come to Santiago. The
Cathedral of Saint James wants to be fair with those who are doing the
pilgrimage by giving them, and only them, the "Compostela". That is the
reason why we ask for two stamps per day.  However, we understand that if a
pilgrim starts the Way in a far away point,  it is enough to get only one
stamp. Otherwise, they would need several  credentials. We specially apply
the rule of the two stamps per day to pilgrims starting from Galicia.  We
really appreciate your interest on the matter, and will be very grateful if
you would give that piece of information to the pilgrims addresing the
Confraternity."
So, be prepared, if you're starting from anywhere west of say Ponferrada
(or picking up a pilgrimage made in stages), to get two stamps a day, and
get hold of another credencial if you need room for the extra stamps.

Hope this is of use

Jeffrey