matamoros

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Sep 25 08:05:09 PDT 2001

With the admirable, and enviable, perception of a writer Elyn has placed the
matamoros quandary in an understandable perspective.
Linda's Santiago book mentions as a "must see" the Santiago el Real church in
Logrono and its Santiago Matamoros over the door.  (The church is close to
the "Pilgrims Fountain" ) Linda's book also mentions that, by legend, the
present church was built over one commissioned by Ramiro I after the battle
of Clavijo in the 9th century.
The legend tells that during the reign of the mythical king Mauregato the
victorious Sarracens imposed upon the Christians the obligation to provide
100 virginal maidens. This is related in the poem of Fernan Gonzalez:
                   "Habian en todo esto de a Almanzor dar
                     cien doncellas hermosas que fuesen por casar
                     habianlas por Castiella cada una buscar,
                     habianlo de cumplir, pero con gran pesar."
the tribute was complied with until the reign of Ramiro I who refusing to
continue it went to battle in Clavijo against the Sarracens.  As the
Christians were losing the bloody struggle Santiago appeared, on his white
steed and brandishing a sword, and won the battle for the Cross.  This is the
first reported appearance of Santiago in such function and it is said to have
happened on  the 23rd. of May of 844 A.D.
 From that point on Santiago, theretofore known popularly as Santiago
Boanerges (son of thunder) multiplied his equestrian appearances in battles
against the moors, sometimes appearing alone, as in Fernando I Coimbra siege
in 1064 or in the Alfonso IX Merida siege in 1264,  and sometimes accompanied
by his colleague, also armed and mounted, San Millan, as in the Simancas
battle of  August 19, 939.
All these battles are remembered yearly by local fiestas; the May 23 one in
Clavijo (just off the Camino route) is particularly interesting in its
rusticity and very enjoyable.
With opportunities for battle glory diminishing in the Iberic peninsula
Santiago as warrior  travelled to America where in Mexico, in the battle of
Otumba in 1520 he began to be called Santiago Mataindios and was
correspondingly depicted.
When Mexico itself waged its fight for independence from Spain in 1810,
Santiago fought alongside the insurgents as Santiago Mataespanoles.
But the images of Santiago as warrior became as infinitely outnumbered by
Santiago the peaceful pilgrim as much in America as they are in Spain.
-Two years or so ago, in the servlist before this one, Maryjane wrote
wonderfully about matamoros.  I was young then (a mere 58 years old) and did
not keep a copy of that message.  If one of you, old-time listserv members,
did , I would love reading Maryjane's writing  again.
Peace to all and warm regards,
Rosina