world peace

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Sep 24 07:33:56 PDT 2001

Charles,
Last May I visited Jerusalem, with a church group, and was profoundly
saddened by the inhumane and demeaning way in which a whole class of people
were being routinely treated. We were totally unprepared for it. In a visit
to the Greek Orthodox church which is said to hold a Santiago relic we were
quite upset by the oppressive atmosphere outside.   Whereas the church had
been open to visitors for 45 minutes twice a day in the past, it was now open
for 15 minutes once a day, and not every day, and we were hurried through.
We asked the monks, and others, whether the debasing and humiliating
treatment that we witnessed being visited upon so many in the City was due to
the recent upheavals, and we were told that, unfortunately,  it was a way of
life there.
As I wrote before, I, and my companions, feared that somehow we would sooner
or later may have to answer for our indifference and, perhaps, economic
complicity to such conditions.  No people can, (or should), be treated with
such arrogant contempt without consequences.
It heartens me a little that, at long last, we seem to be paying some
attention to the possible causes of that incredible resentment which now has
reached us at such cost.....I need not repeat what my friends, neighbors,
colleagues and I have been through since September 11.  I wrote enough about
it and cannot bear to do so anymore.
But I would like to tell you that at church yesterday the entire congregation
prayed for peace in the world and fairness and justice in Palestine.  (Even I
was surprised.)  It was decided to make a connection with churches in
Bethlehem and other places in the Holy Land and share a portion of our
church's contributions with them; it was also agreed to try to find out in
what manner we can help alleviate the suffering of the poor and oppressed
there.
Lest this message provoke a piece of hate, and hateful mail, from that one
member of this list who sent me such a one in response to the message which I
posted on September 16, I should like him to know that I have consulted with
a colleague who specialized in Cyber Law and have learned that such messages
in addition to being cowardly are, indeed, actionable.  Although the first
Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of expression, it does
not, in the famous words of a U.S. Supreme Court justice, give anyone the
right to cry "fire" in a crowded theater.
Nor does it allow anyone to send hate-and-threat filled messages under the
cover of distance and facelessness of this medium.
That said, I do agree with  Linda that we should try to adhere to the
original purposes of this list as much as possible, and I shall certainly do
so  henceforth.
If any of you wishes to know about our conditions, and efforts, here in the
my stricken neighborhood, I shall answer you directly, grateful for  your
interest and your concern.
Much affection to all of you of Good Will.  Thank you so very, very much for
your lovely messages; I have appreciated them more than I can tell you in
mere words.
I join you in prayers for Peace, Justice and Fairness for each and every one
of us on this fragile Earth.
Rosina