The Pope's words on the terrorist attack

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Thu Sep 13 19:09:08 PDT 2001

Dear friends,

As an Episcopalian, I've received via friends and Episcopal news sources
good words from our Presiding Bishop and various Anglican leaders worldwide.
 I am also very glad for the prayers and words being offered now at our
national cathedral in Washington with the President in attendance, and those
are being covered on national television.

I didn't expect to see quotations from Episcopal leaders in the national
press, but did rather expect that the Pope's response would be reported.
Maybe it has been in the press and I just missed it.  I went to the Vatican
website and found that his general address on Wednesday was on the subject
of the attack.  Here's the web address in the Vatican site for his words:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/2001/documents/hf_j
p-ii_aud_20010912_en.html

What he said is good, balanced, remembering Gospel and world politics too I
think.  I hope as this unfolds that he'll say more.  Is there some strong,
consistent, and just response that does not frame itself as America's
amorphous war on the rest of the world?  I think America needs to hear a
global perspective and hear leaders outside American asking that we move
together with other nations and international groups (including churches and
national Jewish and Islamic groups).  In fact a global sense of urgency for
deeper relationships and reciprocity among nations seems to me to be our
best hope in this moment if it produced a measured global response that
doesn't rest until both terrorist networks and the systemic causes of
terrorism are addressed together.

I didn't see a way to write an e-mail to the Vatican website or I would
have.

love,
donald