The gift of life

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Sun Nov 25 13:08:07 PST 2001

Two messages, one from Craig Walker detailing his battle with cancer & John
Persson's private mailing on rescuing abandoned pups reminded me of an
incident during my own pilgrimage.

I think I have already made mention of pilgrim's on the camino experiencing
the raucous noise and wild apparition of arising from a small grey car.

In most cases pilgrims waved back and we felt as though we helped in a little
way, taking their minds away from the thudding of boots on the hard ground or
lifting the adrenaline rush of those on bicycles as they nearly fell off with
shock.

One walker failed to wave back seemingly having the need to tightly clutch
his stomach. We stopped and reversed back to see if he required help, we had
recognised him as having spent time in Ventosa.

It was a small puppy he clutched, wrapped up in the pilgrim's sparse
wardrobe. It had been found abandoned in a plastic bag to die and he had been
attempting unsuccessfully to find a home for it but to no avail. He had
purchased a small feeding bottle and had kept it alive but at that point
wondered for how long, as the conditions were far from ideal for a small
puppy a few days old.

Acacio, my guide decided to take it back to Ventosa and handed it into the
arms of Carla, who we were giving a lift on her way the Najera to act as
hospitalero.
On arrival in Ventosa Acacio left the pup in the care of the acting
Hospitalero then left for Santiago. The cries of hunger during the night-time
hours echoed throughout the albergue until the puppy was fed.

I wonder if people along the camino are getting wise to the love & kindness
of pilgrims and these rescues will become a regular part of the camino
experiences?

'The Gift of Life'
I pray Craig, that you will be soon be able to make your own pilgrimage to
Santiago.
May your feet have wings.
Every Blessing
Howard