Men Only! Shaving

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Tue Nov 20 14:07:07 PST 2001

>One thing does concern me though.  I really really don't like beards, so it
>is possible to shave at the refugios?  I don't mind going 4 or 5 days
>without a shave (when I end up looking like Desparate Dan from the Dandy
>comic), but anytime after that ,  then  it becomes difficult for me.
>Bringing cans of shaving foam, a razor and after shave balm etc etc all adds
>to the weight of my pack.  So how do guys, who don't want to grow a beard
>over 4 or more weeks, work this out?

Ed
Guess it depends on your face.  I used a regular Gillette razor with my bar of
bath soap.  Used my hands to get some lather, wipe it on my face and then
shave.   I don't use any "after shave balm etc etc" at home so I didn't use
them on the Camino.  I manage to get 5 days on a blade so I took 6 blades.
 Razor handle and 6 blades weigh 43 g including the small plastic container for
the blades.  You could also take a small can of shaving cream and buy
additional cans as you need them.  Spain does have almost all of the things we
can buy at home. :^)

All the places we stayed had sinks, mirrors and most had hot water just like at
home so it was no problem to stay presentable.  Biggest problem was finding a
time when they were not busy.

Bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue