Shoes /refugios/just returned

Karen Swanson MCCAVITaAOL.COM
Wed May 30 12:48:38 PDT 2001

Greetings!  I have just returned from the Camino, Pamplona to Santiago.  Just
thought I'd check in on the shoe issue.  For anyone who has done any hiking,
you will  find this terrain extremely easy-it is essentially a dirt road.
You do NOT need hiking boots.  I wore all terrain running shoes, and wish I
had worn an even lighter running shoe with more cushion.  It is very hard (
ie  it has no give-very compacted in many places- so cushioning is the
thing!!).  I had no foot problems except for some soreness on the balls of my
feet from the hard surface-a common complaint, and I did many 25 mile days.
The weight of a hiking shoe is totally unnecessary.  I wish someone had told
me how easy the footing is-much of it is actually road or a very well trod
wide path.
Also-Don't count on refugios!!  Many were full and people routinely lined up
by noon to get a space!!  I stayed exclusively in hotels/hostals.
Finally-It was GREAT!!  A truly international experience, lots of camraderie,
great scenery and architecture, wonderful people, something very special.
Karen