Shoes and over the ankle imperative

Nick Hayes clubnickaEROLS.COM
Fri May 25 20:25:09 PDT 2001

Hello people.
I wrot e this on some site several months back but for those who didnt read it.

Last summer  on the Camino I observed in my own group (teenagers)
- flip-flops...and this on the climb up to O'Cebreiro from Villafranca...but
not all the way to Santiago
- Nike sneakers....definately not water proof....but definately all the way
from SJPP
- boots by Ecco  ( me)
and observed on others
- sports sandals .... much favoured by the Italians
- heavy boots ...prefered by Germans and some Dutch
- bare feet...by a very devout German who "wanted to relive the true pilgrim
experience" and did so for 2 weeks.
When I asked him how he coped, he said that he chose his path very carefully.

There is a lesson here I think.  = What ever works for you.   all the mud and
water is gone by July basically
so it gets down to a question of personal preference.  I guess the main thing
is to not get too uptight about
foot-wear

My personal preference was for light and flexible    but that was, as I said,
personal..

Nick