2000 Pilgrims

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed May 9 06:36:02 PDT 2001

Hello you all,
You may remember that the 2000 pilgrims data showed 8 "Oikoten" pilgrims and
244
pilgrims from "Europa".
This is the translation of the Archdiocese response to my query in this
regard:
" The "Oikoten" are persons,  concretely (?) young that make the pilgrimage
to Santiago as a form of social reintroduction in  complying with a penalty
imposed.  They come from Belgium.
Some European countries prevail in the pilgrimage, such as France, Germany,
Belgium, etc. Other European countries may be grouped in a given
classification, such as "Nordic countries".  The term "Europa" , which
actually means  "Rest of Europe" refers to those countries for which there is
no specific grouping."

Other data:
The overwhelming number of pilgrims (92,75%) followed the French Way. 1,514
pilgrims walked the North Way, 1,512 the Portuguese way, 858  the Silver Way
and 102 pilgrims walked the English Way (?).

Of the 1,165 foreign priests who celebrated Mass in the Santiago Cathedral in
the year 2000, 527 were from Italy, 158 from Germany, 121 from Poland, 97
from France, 76 from Brazil, 69 from the United States (!) , 47 from Mexico
and then from many other countries in smaller numbers.
 At the pilgrims' Mass in the Cathedral a pilgrim does part of the reading.
While there, I was asked by the  nun in charge to do the reading, but
overcome by emotion and all too shy declined the honor.  This year, if asked
again, I will certainly do it.
In a message months ago Maryjane mentioned the use of the pilgrimage as a
form of social penance.  I wish I had kept the message.  If one of you did,
please forward it to me.  I'd like to read it again.
Fond regards,
Rosina