Jerusalem and the Templars

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Tue May 8 09:08:58 PDT 2001

Rosina:

The word "hospitaller" as employed by The Sovereign Military Hospitaller
Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta ("Knights of Malta")
was derived from a hospice infirmary (sacra domus hospitalis) begun in the
year 1070 to aid Amalfi pilgrims on their journey to Jerusalem. The founder
of this hospice was Blessed Gerard (+1120) who gave it the name of St. John
the Baptist.

The term hospitaller evolved over a long period of time. Today, it is
defined by Webster as a member of a religious military order established in
Jerusalem in the 12th century.

I am not aware of a permanent Malta presence in Jerusalem, but the order is
actively engaged with performing good works in the middle east as well as
elsewhere so it would not surprise me to learn otherwise. There are other
religious orders of Knighthood, of course, including The Equestrian Order of
the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, whose ties to the city can be traced to the
11th century and whose apostolate encompasses pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

There have been many books written about Saladin (Salah ad-Din Yusuf-ibn
Ayub). If you want to read one that deals also with the Christian military
orders, however, I might suggest "The Monks of War" by Desmond Seward. It's
been around a long time (first published in '72), but the essential history
of many, although not all, of the Orders is covered.

What was the original etymological meaning of "Hospitalarios"?  When did the
> term become almost exclusively associated with medical facilities?
> Does anyone know where the Knights of Malta maintain a presence in
Jerusalem?